Mention your name at a nearby tavern. Do the NPCs shiver or laugh? Or do they lack a reaction entirely?
To see what happens, have the NPCs make a History/Streetwise check with a DC of 25 - 1/2 PC Level.
You can modify the difficulty by...
- ...having Bards sing of your adventures, lowering the difficulty by 2.
- ...spreading rumors of your exploits, lowering the difficulty by 2.
- ...having bards AND rumors spread your legend, lowering the difficulty by 5.
- ...taking some secret quests, increasing the difficulty by 2.
- ...taking primarily secret missions, increasing the difficulty by 5.
- ...the distance you have traveled from the point of origin of your adventures, increasing the difficulty by 5 for ever 10 miles.
When using Diplomacy, your Reputation can give you a +2 to your Diplomacy check, +5 if your acts were exceptionally good.
However, your Reputation can also be a problem if you are trying to remain incognito. A successful Reputation check can give the NPC a +2 to Insight versus your Bluff check to remain anonymous.