Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weekly 4e Homebrew: The Enlightened

Every Sunday, I'll have a completely homebrewed Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition element that you can use in your games. I do take requests so you can either post a comment here, email me at thatrobedguy@hotmail.com with the subject "Homebrew Request", or send me a tweet on Twitter (@brannonhutchins) with the hashtag #weekly4e.

My friend Jason, the masked guy (Nanashi) in Kicking Grass from over a year ago, is an unusual person. He's some strange mixture between Dr. Evil and the Jolly Green Giant. He was born on Friday the 13th, for crying out loud!

To add to all this, Jason has some pretty strange dreams, most of which focus on the world ending when he gets married (you have 11 months left, bro) or some variation thereof. One such dream featured a unique world that he swears will make an awesome RPG campaign, and I would have to agree.

As I am me, I started to create 4th edition elements of his dream so that we could play it one day. BUT! With the recent interest I've gathered with Dragon Age, we've both recently agreed that THAT is the RPG system we want to work this dream campaign into. So here is one of the races that managed to get finished before the change happened. I give you the race of spider-like people, the Enlightened.

The Enlightened
"May you find your place within the web."
Average Height: 6'2"-6'7"
Average Weight: 125-160 lb.

Ability Scores: +3 Dexterity; or +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 8 squares
Vision: Low-light, Tremorsense (10 squares)

Languages: Spoken, Trembling
Skill Bonuses: +2 Insight, +2 Religion
Thin Thread: You have the thin thread racial power.
Whispers of the Web: You have the whispers of the web racial power.









Designer Notes: Spoken is this campaign's version of Common and Trembling is the Enlightened's own language.

Sadly, not a lot of the fluff has been decided upon for this race (or any of them), though the line "May you find your place within the web" helped a lot while designing the Enlightened. From that line alone, I knew the race was highly religious and believed in fate over all things though knew that not everyone can find their destiny.

The Enlightened race was created with help from Power2ool for use in your 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons game, by Wizards of the Coast.

2 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. I have thought several times of playing an Ettercap and it looks like playing an Enlightened would be a lot of fun. I think Thin Thread is a bit too powerful to be an at will power. It would probably be better as an Encounter power. If you wanted to keep it at will consider making it a Standard Action or requiring it to hit a creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a Buddhist branch of Lolth's faith! :)
    If you made Thin Thread an Encounter Power you could also make it a Restraining power. Or you could add feat options which could augment it into a Restraining power: "Improved Thin Thread", or some such thing.
    I really like this series of articles. Very cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete