Monday, December 5, 2011

AGE Brew: Nobleman background

I was introduced to the Dragon Age RPG by NewbieDM via his blog, and a one-shot combat session online, and I was HOOKED! I love the character creation, the Dragon Die mechanics, EVERYTHING! So of course, I was tempted to create my own material for the game outside the assumed setting of Dragon Age.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dragon Age universe, but I feel that the system can excel as a generic system. I got to designing based on licensed material, like Star Wars or Star Trek, but some things just weren't clicking for me. So, I returned to the realm of fantasy and tried to establish a generic background that players could use within the Dragon Age system. However, there was one thing I wasn't counting on:

Your game's setting is extremely important when creating backgrounds for Dragon Age. Each one ties in so deeply to the mythos of the realm, that you can't create a proper generic background (at least in my own opinion).

As the background came together, so did the mythos of the game world. I may explain it in the future, but for now I present just the following...the Noble of the Civil Lands background for my WiP Neldra Campaign Setting.

Noble of the Civil Lands
  • Add 1 to your Communication ability. One of noble blood is a master of the spoken word, able to negotiate or deceive to get what they want, as well as the ability to lead their people.
  • Pick one of the following ability focuses: Communication (Leadership) or Cunning (Heraldry)
  • Choose whether your character is a human or a fae.
  • You can speak and read Neldrin and Fae Tongue.
  • Choose a class. You can play either the mage or the warrior.
Human (Roll 2d6)
2) +1 Magic
3-4) Focus: Cunning (Etiquette)
5) Focus: Communication (Deception)
6) Focus: Dexterity (Calligraphy)
7-8) +1 Willpower
9) Focus: Willpower (Self-Discipline)
10-11) Focus: Communication (Leadership)
12) +1 Strength

Fae (Roll 2d6)
2) +1 Cunning
3-4) Focus: Communication (Persuasion)
5) Focus: Cunning (Cultural Lore)
6) Focus: Communication (Bargaining)
7-8) +1 Magic
9) Focus: Communication (Leadership)
10-11) Focus: Cunning (Arcane Lore)
12) +1 Dexterity

No comments:

Post a Comment