Sunday, November 20, 2011

Weekly 4e Homebrew: Lingering Spirit

Every Sunday, I'll have a completely homebrewed Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition element that you can use in your games. I do take requests so you can either post a comment here, email me at thatrobedguy@hotmail.com with the subject "Homebrew Request", or send me a tweet on Twitter (@brannonhutchins) with the hashtag #weekly4e.

Inspired by the incredible, awesome, godsend of a show called Supernatural, you have the Lingering Spirit.
Lingering Spirit
"Cold spots? Flickering lights? Sounds like you've got yourself a ghost."
Ghosts are the spirits of people with unfinished business or have something in the mundane world holding them back from eternal rest. The most tame of these is the Lingering Spirit, a ghost either new to undeath or without anger issues.
Haunting Signs: It's easy to tell if a ghost is in the area. Their presence causes cold spots and flickering lights. Perhaps you'll even find some EVP (electronic voice phenomenon) on a recording made in the haunted location. If you discover a combination of those three signs, grabs the salt.
Salt and Iron: There are only a few things can hurt or temporarily distract a spirit, and that is salt and iron. Even a small handful of salt can be a great weapon against a ghost.
Salt Barrier: If you need to protect yourself against a spirit, create a salt barrier. Spirits cannot pass through salt, which is why it makes a great weapon.
Salt and Burn 'Em: The best way to send a spirit packing is by salting and burning their remains, even if it means digging their bodies up from a grave.

Designer Notes: I love Supernatural. It's a show that seems to be written and designed specifically for me, from the car to the mysteries to the Rock N' Roll. I have @TheGreatMrChibi to thank for introducing me to this show. And while there is a Supernatural RPG (squee!), I wanted to see if I could bring that same feel to the 4th Edition system.

Because of the monster's immunity to mundane weaponry, the players need to know what they are going up against before taking it down, much like Sam and Dean Winchester do in the show.

I think the best way to implement this creature, and other Supernatural inspired versions of our favorite monsters, is to place them in a setting that only have access to the Martial power source. I've got such a world in a concept stage and was originally only going to make it completely mundane, but adding these nuggets of the supernatural can make it quite unique to my gaming table.

Quick Note: I may have forgotten to add some addition salt based methods to defeat the creature to the monster stat block. I'm too busy to edit it in right now, but be smart and watch Supernatural for more details.

The Lingering Spirit was created using Power2ool for the Wizards of the Coast Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition system.

No comments:

Post a Comment