Friday, December 28, 2012

4th Edition Homebrew: Monster HP

What? Me doing another article on 4th Edition!? The Mayans were right; it's the end of the world!

"We predict that a blogger will write a stupid Mayan joke.
Thousands will die."

My mind is the strangest thing. In the middle of a shower, I suddenly thought of a way to speed up combat in 4th Edition. Well, maybe by only a little.

Instead of monsters having hit points, perhaps they have a total number of hits that they can take before dying. The total number of hits a monster can take depends on their type:

  • Minions have one hit (and take no hit on a miss as is the usual)
  • Standards have three hits
  • Elites have five hits
  • Solos have ten hits
If a character is built on doing additional damage, allow them to make two hits on a monster with a successful attack. On a critical hit, add an additional hit to the damage dealt.

If a creature is vulnerable to a certain type of damage, add another hit. If a creature is resistant to a certain type of damage, then split the number of hits dealt in half.
I can do 12 hits in a single attack. U mad?
I'm not sure if this would help out at all, or if it is even close to balanced. Frankly, I'm busy running Next so I won't be able to try this out myself. But, it was an idea that ran through my head. If you try it, let me know how it works out for your group.

No comments:

Post a Comment